Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pomegranates... Emma's favorite food

So during my pregnancy I haven't really had any "cravings" besides one insatiable need for pomegranates... My first few attempts at enjoying this strange fruit were less than classy, causing stains on my clothing and a frustrating desire to have more than just a few seeds in my mouth at one time... So in my quest to find the perfect way to peel it I came across a wonderful method that I am now prepared to share with you.

First step is cut the crown off. I like to give myself a little under half an inch under the crown, just into the seeds. You will know you are deep enough if you start seeing the deep burgundy juice drip out. I like to give myself a little extra sometimes so I have some seeds to munch while its soaking (that part is coming). Prepare a medium to large sized mixing bowl with water three quarters to the way full.




So once you get the crown cut off, make slits down the side of the pomegranate every half inch or so, just about a quarter of an inch in. You just want to cut the skin, not get into the seeds.


Turn the Pom cut side down into the water and let soak for 10 minutes.


After 10 minutes the fun begins!! Place your hands on either side of the Pom and start breaking the thing apart using the slits as a guide. I like to tear each section off and work on a section one by one. Make sure you are doing this under the water... This is key.


Using your thumb and a little pressure, start popping the seeds off. Make sure you are doing all your work under the water. This keeps the juices from splattering out and staining your clothing and counter tops.

I like to remove the empty membranes and put them off to the side, but you can keep them in the bowl if you wish. You will start to notice that the seeds sink and the membranes float.


Sometimes you will come across a clutch of seeds covered in a layer of skin. Just peel it off! I really like to admire the Pom, it really is a beautiful fruit!! (I know I'm a weirdo)


Once you remove all the seeds from the membranes take a slotted spoon and scoop the floating membranes away.

Sometimes some membrane will still remain attached to the seeds. I just eat it the way it is, but if I'm particularly picky or if I'm using the seeds in a salad for presentation purposes I will pick through the seeds during the rinsing.

So get a straining colander ready and gently begin pouring the water out of the bowl. If there is still a little bit of membrane left, pour this water into the sink instead of the colander... If you do it carefully enough the membranes will fall out with the water and the seeds will stay put at the bottom of the bowl. Dump the rest into the colander, rinse, and then move to a clean bowl and you're done!!

I enjoy mine with a spoon.


Yummy!!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE YOU FOR THIS, 10+ YEARS I HAVE BE SCARED TO EAT THESE IN PUBLIC BECAUSE OF THE MESS I MAKE LOL JUST TRIED ITAND YUP UR GENIUS! THANKS YOU FOR SHARING

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, my mom used to buy these for me and my little sister when we were kids. she would crack it in half and set us down with them.. it would keep us busy for hours!!! so.. dont show this to the kids...it might make some moms mad!! love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had pomegranate seeds before. What does it taste like?

    ReplyDelete